Thursday, October 14, 2010

Here We Go Again

When I was hired at this job, my soon-to-be boss told me during the interview that I was being hired specifically to work on one project, and that this project is scheduled to last through 2013. When I took the job, I was certainly not in any mood to turn down an offer... I had just gotten laid off from my previous job a month before and my savings were almost completely empty just from trying to survive on the rent I was paying.

The plan, as I had imagined it, was that my dog-training schooling would be complete in about January or February of 2011. Over the following two years, I would begin to see how much work I could drum up by doing dog-training stuff on the side. Once 2013 got closer, I would have a better idea if training full-time would be possible, or if I would need to begin seeking other employment.

The other day, I dropped something off for my boss, and she sat me down to "remind me" that my employment can't be guaranteed after the Christ-Light project is over. Like I said, this wasn't new information to me. However, she proceeded to tell me that they've done a lot of rearranging of who is doing what specific task over the next couple of years. Long story short, I could be out of a job as early as next August.

In addition, she also told me that she had to cut the hours for everybody else in the department, and was "informing me" that I can go a minimum of 32 hours without losing health insurance. She said that she's not really in the loop either, and so she just wants to keep me as informed as possible. There are, and I agree with her, way too many other factors to say anything for sure. The project that I'm working on, according to my boss, is the basket that the company is putting all their eggs in. If it flops, there will be serious consequences on the business end. I would be losing my job at the end either way, because it's a one-time project. There's no sustainability there for me.

If I get knocked down to 32 hours, I'll be losing 20% of my wages. That's pretty scary. Everything is still completely up in the air right now. My projects are still "scheduled" to 2013 so it's hard to say whether they're going to keep me doing them or not. And the hours thing may not even happen. It's way too soon to tell on either front, and I don't want to start look at other jobs until I have more information. I don't want to leave this job because of something that MAY happen. I probably won't know until next year. Though if I get knocked down to 32 hours, I will probably start seeking part-time employment somewhere else.

Also, I was sifting through my task list at work today, when I came across a Teacher's Guide that I have to put together. It takes about a month to complete and I haven't started it yet because it's not due til January. At least, I thought so. This morning I discovered that I must have written down the wrong due date, and this massive project is in fact due NEXT THURSDAY. It never ends around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment